Friday, September 13, 2013

Aspergers & Physical Education -Guest Post by Christopher Owens

The following is an essay written by a 14 year-old boy with Aspergers for his Physical Education teacher. He is spot on, honest, and dead serious.  He can not see why we all think he is being so hilarious, when all he is doing is telling the truth and the whole truth, so help me God. 

I am publishing it here because I believe this is the way many of our young men with Aspergers feel about physical education and exercise.  I have heard some of the same words from my son Blue. This young man does an excellent job of educating us all.  

Thank you Christopher for allowing me to share it! 

Christopher Owens
Physical Education
9 September 2013


Weight Training Portfolio Essay

This is my essay for the weight training portfolio assignment. In this essay I will discuss my physical condition, future fitness goals, and sports and exercises that I enjoy participating in.
By the end of this essay, you should know all of the information regarding my physical condition and goals.

First, my physical condition. As it stands, I cannot run half a mile without getting extremely fatigued. This tells you that my physical condition is poor, at best. At worst, you could say that I am so physically unfit, that a walrus would beat me in a race. In fact, the only location with any real muscle mass on me is my legs, as my arms have little to no muscle mass. I do however, manage to maintain a slim figure. This is surprising, considering that I do little to no physical activity, and have less than healthy eating habits. It is currently believed that my slim figure is due to an incredibly high metabolism. This metabolism also contributes to the fact that I am quite limber, and am capable of extraordinary feats of flexibility. So far my metabolism has shown no signs of slowing down, and I am particularly happy about this.

Moving on, I will now discuss my fitness goals. Long story short, I have none. I don't plan on needing any muscles in my job in the future, and quite frankly, I like it that way. I personally don't really see the need for muscles and such, and can't think of a single instance in my adult life in which I will require them. This doesn't mean that there are no instances in which I will need them, simply that I can't think of one of such instances. Maybe if I have a really fat baby, and it's my turn to push the stroller, but somehow I don't think that will happen. If you think I need fitness goals, well that's your opinion. I however, see no need for them.

Finally, we come to sports and exercises that I enjoy. Quite frankly, there aren't any intense exercises that I enjoy. We have an indoor trapeze at my house, which I enjoy. I also enjoy simply sitting and bouncing on an exercise ball. Swimming and the trampoline in my backyard are the last activities that I enjoy, but both are recreational only. When on the trampoline I take breaks quite often, and I don't swim laps or anything like that. Personally I find it quite pathetic that I can't swim in place for ten minutes without getting tired, but I suppose there's nothing to be done for it. I think that this is quite a solid lineup of activities that I enjoy to do, but I agree that it could be better.

This concludes my essay, and I hope that you have learned about my health and exercise habits by now. To recap, we have learned that I am flexible, and enjoy a wonderful metabolism. We have learned that I have no fitness goals, and have no desire to create any. Finally, we have learned of the exercises and activities that I enjoy to do. If you have no idea what I am talking about, due to reading this backwards or Alzheimer, I suggest that you either read in the correct way, or seek medical attention, depending on which one it is. Now if you can excuse me, I have a calender of fake exercises to construct.



If you know a Physical Education teacher or coach ...please share this with post with them! 
~Karen