Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Learning to Say No


I just said no to my kid about something and I want a freakin' round of applause!  Why? Because not long ago I would have done exactly what it is that they want me to do, and then just stewed and steamed and been pissy about it later.  After a while that resentment builds up. I blow a gasket and I'm ready to blow somebody's head off.  Unfortunately, it's usually my husband's head.

I don't want to go there.  So...I learn.  I improve.  I grow up and preserve myself more and more each day.  I will always be a work in progress.

I am already pissy that my husband is off on a business trip in the city where my best friend lives.  He actually had dinner with her and her fellow last night, while I'm stuck here taming the wild animals.

It's just not that simple to pick up and go whenever I want to.  Blue has R.O.T.C. camp today.  Red has therapy tomorrow.  Blue has High School camp tomorrow night.  I can just pick them up and take them with me or dump them off somewhere.  I have responsibilities.  Besides, taking them with me would be an exercise in torture...not the break that I need.  So ...I'm here doing all the things that need to be done, and not loving every minute of it.

Teenagers will ask you to turn flips, frontwards, backwards and upside down if you are stupid enough to fall for it.  I've raised 3 of them! Trust me! Got the stupid sticker on my forehead apparently!  Well...not today boys!

Today, Red wanted me to pick up his friend who is visiting with his grandmother, 15 or 20 miles away.  Of course, they wanted me to drive back and forth to pick him up, let him hang out and then drive him back tonight.  Uh uh! Nope! Sorry. Hold the phone! It Ain't happening!

I am more than willing to do one, but not both.  I'm sorry if your grandmother is not feeling well and doesn't have the energy to bring you.  I totally understand.  What about your father?  Or your grandfather?  You see my other half is off having fine dinners and sleeping in a quiet hotel room.  So he can't help me run interference.  I am simply not willing to take these back and forth trips in 100 degree heat.  Gas is expensive! And then I have to feed you.  I already fed you once this week! Not to mention, all of the other obligations I already have.  Um...No!  Sorry.Dudes! 

So here's what's going to happen.  I will be glad to pick you up tomorrow...after Red's therapy appointment.  Give me your dad's number and lets figure out how he can help with that.  Oh...I see.  Dad can pick you up tomorrow night after you hang out here tomorrow afternoon.  Great! That will work for me.  See you then! 

My mama didn't raise no fool!  Well...maybe she did.  But I'm learning! I'll take my round of applause now!

Thank you! Thank you very much! I'll be here all week! Don't forget to tip your waitresses.