Friday, December 30, 2011

My Respite

Every girl should have a friend like the one I call my sister and Bestie.  Not to say that I'm Oprah...but she is my Gayle.  She is one of very few people in this world that I can be totally honest with, and not be judged.  We share secrets and confidences.  We are always there to love and support one another through good times and not so good times.  We can say anything to each other...feelings are never hurt.  She makes me look at my life with honesty and integrity.  She tells me the truth and I do the same for her.  She is my conscience, my advisor, my life-coarch.  I try my best to be the same to her.  We are totally different in many ways, and yet we are the same in so many others.  She lovingly provides a place for me to hide away from my life periodically.  This time, she showed me such love and generosity...I am left standing in awe and gratitude.

Usually about once per month or so, I gladly take the 2 and 1/2 hour drive away from my family to go see her.  Although I don't like driving, the trip down there is usually great.  I play my music loud.  I sing and dance in the car, so happy to be getting a break.  The trip back is somehow longer and harder.  This time however, my sister/friend sent me a plane ticket! I got to take a 30 minute flight, instead of a nearly 3 hour drive.  What a luxury!  Well, except for the going through security where I had the pleasure of having my first body scan and pat down.  Woo hoo!

This time her tween girls were at home instead of at their Dad's for the weekend.  One of the girls graciously gives up her room for me to sleep in.  She has a very comfortable king-size bed.  They allow me to shut the door and take naps if I want to.  My friend's husband is also so gracious to me.  You would think he hates to see his wife's gabbing best friend coming through the door...again!  Nope...he is great!  He knows me well, so he makes sure there is always plenty of wine and champagne in the house.  Therefore, the need for naps.  This time he even drove to take us shopping! 

There is a new addition in their family.  I not only have my lovely niece/godchild to hug, kiss and play with.  I also get lots of cuddle time with my new nephew!  He is 2 months old.  I get to feed him, and change him.  I think that is the entire reason I was put on this earth...to love and take care of babies.  It's just too bad, they have to grow into teenagers! :-D


On Saturday evening the family included me in their annual Christmas tradition of going to see The Nutcracker.  As you know, I have boys who have no interest in seeing a ballet.  Although, suddenly they had curiosity about it because I was going...without them.

Let me just say...it was a magical evening.  I am always so impressed by what dancers can do with their bodies.  I don't have the body frame to be a ballerina, but I certainly wish I could spend hours a day working on my body's strength and toning.  A girl can dream right?
I have known these little girls since they were toddling around!
Look at them now!
The entire family is loving, generous and gracious the entire time I am there.  I hate to say it, but it's true.  It's such a stark contrast to my life at home.  Where everything is tense, argumentative, and I am constantly avoiding land-mines.  The respite that they provide for me is invaluable and one of the biggest blessings in my life.  I am eternally grateful for their love and friendship.  They are my other family...and yes, my husband is jealous!

This weekend that I am writing about happened a couple of weeks ago.  I'm already ready to go back!  Thank you sister-friend.  I love you.