Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Down Dog

For the first time in over a week -I made it to an exercise class. For the first time since the beginning of the summer, I attended Yoga. My schedule has been so screwed up with the boys out of school. Their appointments, camps and play-dates that often interfere with my early morning Yoga class. Not to mention that my favorite yoga instructor quit because of being mistreated by management, but that's a whole other story.

Even though it's been well over 100 degrees for the past few weeks here in central Texas, this instructor had the bright idea of making it a heated yoga class. The heat is supposed to help us sweat out the toxins and help our muscles relax. Meanwhile, the rest of you is swelling from the heat, especially those of us who eat too much salt and don't drink enough water.

How did I manage to get away at 6:30 on a Tuesday evening? I dropped the boys and a couple of their friends off at one of the city pools nearby, as I have done many times this summer. I confess -I feel this deep sense of elation whenever I drive away without my children. This time however, I notice that I did not have my cell phone in my purse (slight panic). I left it charging at the house (what else is new?). "I'll only be gone for an hour," I rationalize. Hubby is at home and they can call him if anything comes up. "I deserve this hour," I tell myself. He's been off duty on a business trip for the past couple of days. I've been with them 24/7 well 24/2 anyway.

Did I mention that my day started off with another headache. I spent the better part of the day on the phone with our eldest son (lets just call him "21" in order to protect the innocent or not so innocent). I received a phone call from a creditor with whom "21"-allegedly signed some idiotic contract with, and has not been able to pay since he lost his job a couple of months ago. (Another long story). Let's just say I spent a lot of time trying to get him to face up to his responsibility. Why do I even care? I don't want him to ruin his life with stupid, avoidable mistakes!