Thursday, May 8, 2014

Drive to School Conversation


Blue -Do you really think I'm smart?  There are a lot of people at my school that are way smarter than me.
Me -There's always going to be someone with a higher IQ who has strengths in different areas. That doesn't mean you're not smart.
Blue -Well, I'm taking AP classes but not IB (International Baccalaureate) Yes. I had to look up the spelling.  Shows you how smart I am. 
Me -That's because of your anxiety, not because you're not smart.  We made your class schedule according to your whole person, not just how smart you are.  We don't want you to be stressed out like you were the first semester.  Besides, unfortunately, you don't have the best home environment for 3 to 4 hours of homework every night.  You and your brother and all of your fighting and antics.

Blue -Do you like Whitney Houston?
Me -Yes. Love her.
*"I Will Always Love You" is on the radio
Blue -Why do they say this song is hard to sing? *Pauses. Hears her hit a long high note.  Oh now I see. That does sound hard.
Blue -What kind of music does she sing?
Me -Pop and maybe some R&B
Blue -Yeah.  This song sounds like R&B
Me -Really? Because this song was originally written and sung by Dolly Pardon, a country artist.
Blue -Country? Really? Like a male sang it?
Me -No Dolly Pardon is a woman! Hello!

Blue -Why is Jennifer Lopez a judge on American idol? Can she even sing?  I mean is her music any good or does she just have good marketing and performing? *Why J-Lo came up ...I have no idea. 
Me -Well -she's been in the music business for a good twenty years.  First as a dancer, then a singer, and an actress.
Blue -Yeah but does she really have any talent?
Me -I think she does.
Blue -I think the judges on American Idol should be old people who have really been around for a while.
Me -Yes -but do you think older people would like the modern music of today?
Blue -True.

He gets out of the car.  He's on time  ...a little early even.

I start to drive home. As I pull into the garage suddenly, I notice his baggie of vitamins and medicine is still sitting in the cup-holder. Great! Off I go on my weekly double drive to the school.

Too many questions.