Tuesday, July 5, 2011

No Fireworks

I had this picture in my mind of how I wanted my 4th of July weekend to go.  I wanted something different...no entertaining this year.  No cleaning up beforehand and afterward.  No slaving for hours cooking.  I knew that our city was canceling the fireworks show.  Which is a sad exclamation point at the end of the day.

I did manage to escape to the movies on Saturday...all by myself.  I saw "Larry Crowne" which I thoroughly enjoyed.  The reviews were not good, but I left the theater feeling lighter and smiling.  Me and Hubby got in a date that night.  We met some friends and all sat out on the patio of this restaurant that overlooks a little pond.  We shared margaritas and loads of delicious appetizers and adult conversation.

What I wanted for the fourth was a fun family activity --to go to a park or a lake and just hang out in the water.  Some friends of ours told us about a natural spring at at park a few miles away.  Well...I'll be damned if I could get my husband and kids on board.  They came up with excuses not to make it happen.

I will give hubby credit for going out and buying a family pack of barbecue from a local joint.  Their sides were pathetic so my mom doctored up the potato salad.  I made my own baked beans, guacamole and added a few grilled burgers for Red who doesn't like the other cuts of meat.  We bought a cherry pie and ice cream from the grocery store, which was actually quite delicious.  And of course...I made a pitcher of margaritas.  That was the cherry on top.

Tried to get the gang to watch a movie together at the end of the day -even that didn't work.  The highlight of my holiday was a warm bath behind closed doors.  I reflect at the end of the day...maybe I should have had a party and entertained some friends.  The extent of my socializing for the day was on Facebook and Twitter isn't that pathetic?  At least there was no cleanup...

Don't forget one click per day:
Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory