Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July!

Yesterday I read a note from Oprah on Facebook after she returned to the states from visiting her girls in South Africa. Oprah says in her note,

"I know the 4th of July has turned into picnics and fireworks, and barbecue moments.  But it's worth of a pause, to think about what it really means to have Freedom. And while we're pausing think about those who sacrifice to make it so."

As usual Oprah got me to thinking about the simple freedoms that we often take for granted.  I venture to say, those of us of with brown skin, who are descendants of slaves have much to be thankful for in the freedom department.

When we are working in our yard and the boys are complaining I say, "Imagine working in a field picking cotton on a farm that does not belong to you, and you're not getting paid.  At least this is our yard."  I lived in an apartment my entire childhood, there was no yard.  They have never known not living in a house that belongs to us, where we can plant our own flowers and design the landscape.  

They have a neighborhood pool to go swim in around the corner from our house.  I had a city pool to go to across town and I had to ride two busses to get there.  They have excellent schools, right here in our neighborhood.  I had to travel across town to go to a decent school.  I could go on and on with this list, but I need to hurry along to do nothing (my plan for today).

Today we celebrate Freedom.  My husband brought home a family package of barbecue yesterday.  So today, I celebrate Freedom from cooking and the pleasure of doing absolutely nothing I don't want to do.

Happy 4th of July!

You can celebrate the freedom to Vote for this blog with just one click:
Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory