Thursday, April 28, 2011

In Stride

I made it through a few tough days since I came back home.  I think If I hadn't had the break, I would have had my own mental break down after dealing with Red's threats of hurting himself and Blue's anger over a situation with a friend at school.

Then hubby has an attitude with me and is obviously going through some kind of male "time of the month".  He's stressed because he not only had to walk in my shoes dealing with stressful situations with the kids, but in the middle of that he had to deal with the death of his great Aunt (who passed away last week at the age of 97).  He's also stressing over work issues...after all work is so much a part of who he is.

With that said, I can almost guarantee that when I go away for a few days and have fun...that does not include him, he will give me the funky attitude when I come home.  Even if on one side of his mouth, he's saying he's happy for me, on the other side of his mouth --he's a little pissed that I have some semblance of a life that does not include him.  If he reads this, he will vehemently disagree.  However, I have been married to the man for 17 years...I think I know him by now.  I know his patterns, his moods, and his various personalities.  Do not think for one moment that any of this will stop me from going away the very next time I get the chance!  I love going away with him...but I also love going away without him.  He travels for business and sometimes to see family, without me all the time.   I think that's one of the reasons our marriage has lasted this long. 

I visited my brother's church while I was away.  The Pastor reminded us to put Jesus in the drivers seat and go along for the ride.  I am riding along with him, doing what he tells me to do.  I am taking my life in stride  --not letting it all bog me down.   I am strengthened, fortified by my time away.  I am floating on a cloud above the mire, refusing to get dirty and overwhelmed by the reality of my life.  That's what a vacation can do for ya!

So for all of you moms and dads who feel too guilty to take time for yourself...get over it!  Take a girls weekend --go to the spa!  Go play a round of golf.  Go out for happy hour!  Go to a coffeehouse and take a book!  Get away! Take a break and come home fortified, ready to dig through the trenches and deal with the reality that is Aspergers and raising a family.  You deserve it and your family will be all the better for you getting what you need.

p.s.
I am obsessed with looking at my stats seeing who came by to read, who took the time to click the Top Mommy link, etc.  I have a reader in Bowling Green, Ohio who always votes for me.  I would love to know who you are and thank you personally!  For the rest of you readers...GET TO WORK!!! That is...if you like my blog! 
Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory