Monday, February 10, 2014

#365FeministSelfie Project

I may or may not be known for starting things and not finishing them.  Doing this #365feministselfie project is something that I have committed to doing this year, and I am determined to stick with it.

So far, it's only been about a month, but even on my most tired days, when I forget to take the picture until I am literally on my last leg ...or completely off my legs, laying in bed, about to pass out ...I take the picture.

Why? Well ...who doesn't love a good selfie and a major waste of time taking pictures of yourself?  No.  That's not it.

What attracted me to the project was the pictures of the other women doing the project.  I love browsing through Instagram and Facebook, seeing these pictures of real women who are different from me and yet, the same as me.  I feel this connection to them.  Like somehow I know them because, they are me.

I am a lover of people and of their stories.  A writer by nature, whenever I see someone, I wonder what their story is.  These pictures, give me a little snippet of their story.  I leave the rest to my imagination.

Their pictures say...

I am a mother.
I am a wife.
I am a lover.
I am gay.
I am a friend.
I am a sister.
I am a daughter.
I love my dog.
I am tired.
I am happy today.
I am sad tomorrow.
My cat is my bestie.
Having a good hair day.
Bad hair day.
I am silly.
I can laugh at myself.
I am crazy!
I am funny.
I am bored.
I am fat.
I am sexy.
I am an artist.
I have wrinkles.
I am a writer.
I don't care!
I am beautiful.

When I first started taking my selfies for the project, all I could do was look at my imperfections.

Jesus my nose is huge!
Look at the bags today.
Ugh! The skin is horrible.
What happened to my youth?
Yuck...that's my bad side.
I'm too tired for this.
Getting sick of myself.
o.k. I quit.
Tired ...just before I fall asleep 
Every time my kids or my husband sees me taking one, they think I am completely nuts.

-Mom you take way too many pictures of yourself.
-You're not hot mom. Yeah thanks kid.  Who asked you?
-Great there she goes again with the selfies.
-Mom, why do you keep posting your pictures on Facebook?
If you only knew they're on Instatgram and Twitter too. 

Of course, the thoughts run through my mind...

People are going to think you're so full of yourself.
What an attention whore.  Yep.  Damn skippy.
O.K. now I'm getting sick of myself.
Same place...same thing.
Get creative! Think of something new Karen.
I know my friends are sick of me.

And then finally, I arrive at ...

I don't care.
I am doing this.
I don't care who doesn't like it.
Feel free to block me or hide me in your feed.
If my kids don't like it ...all the more reason for me to keep it up!  I love embarrassing them. 
For me the #365feminestselfie project is an exercise in celebrating women, embracing our imperfections, accepting them, and loving ourselves despite them. As each day progresses, I begin to embrace my imperfections.  Instead of the normal negative self-talk, I begin to think...

Hey. You're not too bad.
You are actually kind of cute.
Maybe you're beautiful.

If I don't think so ...who will? 
Certainly -not my kids!

Feel free to follow my #365feminestselfie project on Instagram -kaspergersmom